Skip to main content

 

I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS

I’m quoting Tim Keller from his devotional book on the Psalms, “The Songs of Jesus”, April 1st.

“We have a direct link to the mighty deeds of the past (those deeds recorded in Scripture), because they were the exploits not of our ancestors but of God, Himself, and that God is still with us. Christians should never look at church history as if it contained some great race of heroes that has vanished irretrievably. Their God is our God. Nor should we look at earlier times of spiritual ministry in our lives and think that we’ll never be capable of that again. You weren’t capable of it the first time. It was God. And He is still here.”

Some speak of God distancing Himself from us, being far off, as if God makes Himself absent from His own from time to time. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I recall at the age of 19 the Lord speaking to me these words, “Mark, I want you to know that no matter whether you feel my Presence or not, I am always with you, working My salvation out within you.” I was thrilled to hear this and to “AMEN” it. What happened next was six weeks was a proving ground for my faith. It was a time of feeling my prayers simply dribbled out of my mouth and fell to the floor a soggy mess. I would read a chapter from one of Paul’s letters to the early church and at the end of my reading having no sense of what I had just read. I felt as if God had taken a vacation to somewhere remote in Saskatchewan.

At the end of six weeks, I cried out, “Lord I can’t feel Your Presence! What have I done?” The Lord answered me immediately, “Mark, how do you feel?” I responded, “I feel abandoned and desolate.” He replied, “Well, that must be how My Presence feels just now, because I never left you. Remember what I told you?” The memory of what He had said six weeks before came flooding back and I understood.

My sense of His Presence is NEVER the indicator of whether He is present with me or not. He made a promise, “I will never leave you nor forsake you. So that with utter confidence you can say, “The Lord is my Helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me.” (Hebrews 13:5-6). He also declared through St. Paul that NOTHING can separate us from the Love of God…NOTHING! God is never separated from those He has given eternal life in Christ Jesus. The Holy Spirit has come to permanently life in us the resurrection life of Jesus Christ. He is Life to the believer, the follower of Jesus. He is Life within us.

Never believe that you have been abandoned by God, even for a moment. The awareness of His Presence may be withdrawn, but He never withdraws from His own. He calls us to follow Him, to live from the new heart and spirit He has given to us. I think that that sense that He has withdrawn can be a gift to stir our hearts to seek His face even more fervently. He whispers so we might strain to hear Him, but He is NEVER standing at a distance from us. You can trust that because God promised.

Our hope is not in what we feel, not in what we think we can do nor what we seem to have been able to do in the past. As Tim Keller wrote, we were not capable the first time God worked in and through us. As St. Paul said, “We are not sufficient in ourselves to think that anything has come from ourselves. Our sufficiency comes from God.” (2 Corinthians 3:5) He is our peace!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 THE FOLLY OF IDOLATRY Martin Luther said that the human heart is an idol factory. The truth is that we were created to know and live by the gracious rule of and in the Presence of God who created us. Our peace, our understanding of meaning and purpose can only be truly grounded in God who created us for that meaning and purpose. The rebellion of Adam and Eve, their decision to do the opposite of what God said would make for life, resulted in spiritual and ultimately physical death. They chose to believe they needed something more than what God had provided. Their doomed attempt to try and live life without reference to God as the ground of meaning and purpose did not make life fuller, but emptied it. They wanted to decide what was good and what was evil without God and the disintegration of human life was the consequence. Rather than living in the Presence of God and by the gracious rule of God all around them, they turned from wholeness to brokenness, from fulfilment to scarc...
  WORKING AGAINST ALL HUMANITY 1 Thessalonians 2:15-16 “They fail to please God and WORK AGAINST ALL HUMANITY   as they try to keep us from preaching the Good News of salvation to the Gentiles. By doing this, they continue to pile up their sins.” WOW! What a startling statement! St. Paul is making it crystal clear that those who oppose and work to prevent the proclamation of the Gospel are actually “working against ALL HUMANITY.” Why would he write that? It is because the only means of the restoration, reclamation and salvation of humanity is what God has done for all people through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. That is the essence of the Gospel: Jesus Christ. To oppose and try to silence the presentation of the Gospel is to work against the reclamation of all humanity. Who would want to work against ALL humanity? Satan is the name by which he is known. He hates ALL humanity because every human being still bears the image of God, albeit that ima...
  TIMING Years ago, I head an old preacher say, “The right thing at the wrong time is the wrong thing.” That statement is an offense to the culture being worshipped world-wide today. There is a lust for the immediate, as a line from an old movie stated, “Immediate gratification takes too long!” We want faster internet, immediate responses to our texts, mobile orders at the ready when we walk into Starbucks. What we want, we demand to have NOW. We are masters at justifying ourselves. “Well, we’re engaged already and we’re going to get married anyway, so what’s wrong with us living together and being sexually intimate now?” God’s timing in human relationship is not arbitrary, it is protective and covering. Sad to say, even some who call themselves followers of Jesus Christ choose to justify their living in sexual sin now, because they promise that they will one day get married. The context where sexual intimacy finds its true meaning and purpose is in the covenant of marriage. ...