Skip to main content

 AM I IN THE LIGHT WHEN ALL SEEMS DARK TO ME AT THIS MOMENT?

It is the experience of believers in Jesus Christ that they sometimes come into a time, as they follow Him, a time of what can only be described as a kind of darkness. It is a moment or a season where their conscious awareness of the Lord's presence with them is gone. Note: it is not that the Lord's Presence is gone, only the conscious awareness of His Presence.

Some have called such a season as "the dark night of the soul." 

All sorts of thoughts merged the other day as I read the Words of Jesus in John 8:12, "When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

I asked Him what this meant if I felt I was "in the dark". What came to mind was the 23rd Psalm. The LORD is my Shepherd. I am NOT my own shepherd. I don't lead myself if I am His sheep. He feeds me by His Word, waters me by the Holy Spirit, causes me to live a changed and changing Life, one that reflects His righteousness and power to save any who will believe Him. Walking through the valley of the shadow of death fearlessly because He both corrects and protects me because He is with me. 

David knew God's Presence was with him, but now, by His death and resurrection, by grace through faith, Jesus Christ lives IN me. In fact, He IS life within me, not just with me.

Psalm 27:1-2 states, "The Lord is my light and my salvation. Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life. Of whom shall I be afraid?"

If the Lord is Life within me, if HE is my light and my salvation (not my circumstances or even my own awareness of things), then I am not walking, never walking in darkness. He is the Light of Life and in Him there is no darkness at all. Therefore, because I am His and He is in me and I am in Him, I have the light of life: Jesus Christ, Himself.

Even if I cannot see where I am going, I am not in the "dark" because He is with and in me, Eternal Light. As His sheep, I trust what He sees and believe He is leading me in paths of righteousness. I trust that HE sees, not what I can or cannot see. He is faithful to lead, guide, protect, correct, nourish, heal, and cause me to grow in His grace regardless of how I feel at any given time.

Even when I feel alone, I am not alone, because He is Life within me. I do not need to fear that, because I haven't any strong awareness of His conscious Presence, He has abandoned me. He is with me and I am His. I never walk in darkness because of Who Jesus Christ is, what He has done and is now living out within me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 THE FOLLY OF IDOLATRY Martin Luther said that the human heart is an idol factory. The truth is that we were created to know and live by the gracious rule of and in the Presence of God who created us. Our peace, our understanding of meaning and purpose can only be truly grounded in God who created us for that meaning and purpose. The rebellion of Adam and Eve, their decision to do the opposite of what God said would make for life, resulted in spiritual and ultimately physical death. They chose to believe they needed something more than what God had provided. Their doomed attempt to try and live life without reference to God as the ground of meaning and purpose did not make life fuller, but emptied it. They wanted to decide what was good and what was evil without God and the disintegration of human life was the consequence. Rather than living in the Presence of God and by the gracious rule of God all around them, they turned from wholeness to brokenness, from fulfilment to scarc...
  WORKING AGAINST ALL HUMANITY 1 Thessalonians 2:15-16 “They fail to please God and WORK AGAINST ALL HUMANITY   as they try to keep us from preaching the Good News of salvation to the Gentiles. By doing this, they continue to pile up their sins.” WOW! What a startling statement! St. Paul is making it crystal clear that those who oppose and work to prevent the proclamation of the Gospel are actually “working against ALL HUMANITY.” Why would he write that? It is because the only means of the restoration, reclamation and salvation of humanity is what God has done for all people through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. That is the essence of the Gospel: Jesus Christ. To oppose and try to silence the presentation of the Gospel is to work against the reclamation of all humanity. Who would want to work against ALL humanity? Satan is the name by which he is known. He hates ALL humanity because every human being still bears the image of God, albeit that ima...
  TIMING Years ago, I head an old preacher say, “The right thing at the wrong time is the wrong thing.” That statement is an offense to the culture being worshipped world-wide today. There is a lust for the immediate, as a line from an old movie stated, “Immediate gratification takes too long!” We want faster internet, immediate responses to our texts, mobile orders at the ready when we walk into Starbucks. What we want, we demand to have NOW. We are masters at justifying ourselves. “Well, we’re engaged already and we’re going to get married anyway, so what’s wrong with us living together and being sexually intimate now?” God’s timing in human relationship is not arbitrary, it is protective and covering. Sad to say, even some who call themselves followers of Jesus Christ choose to justify their living in sexual sin now, because they promise that they will one day get married. The context where sexual intimacy finds its true meaning and purpose is in the covenant of marriage. ...